Charleston, South Carolina
Charleston is a city rich in history, tradition and Southern culture. Nearly 4 million visitors a year consider the greater Charleston area as their destination of choice, which is no surprise after taking into account its reputation for outstanding accommodations, entertainment and cuisine.
Historic Downtown District
Charleston’s Historic Downtown District has stood throughout history as the cultural capital of the South and is considered by many to be a living museum, with a wonderful variety of things to do and see. In this beautifully preserved city you can experience tours through historic landmarks, including 18th century homes and plantations, the Battery, museums, churches and the city market. Charleston boasts numerous art galleries that display the city’s impressive appreciation for the visual arts. Charleston maintains all the ingredients necessary for a great vacation.
Folly Beach is a barrier island, six miles long and the closest beach to historical Charleston. Folly Beach is the home of sea, sand and surfing, historical and cultural sites; a maritime forest; Morris Island Lighthouse; gourmet food, endangered species of birds and southern hospitality. Folly Beach is a “must see – must visit” place.
Where to Stay
There are several great places to stay in the Charleston Area including:
- The Beach in a condo or hotel
- Downtown Charleston in a historic hotel or a bed and breakfast
- Seabrook or Kiawah Island Resorts
- A campground or RV Park
- Or a simple hotel that is convenient and cost efficient
- Specifically, your choices could be:
Kiawah Island Resort/Condos/Villas
15-20 minutes from the lake and 35 minutes to downtown Charleston
Kiawah Island is home to several world class golf courses as well as pristine beaches. There are dining and shopping options at the Straw Market and at nearby Freshfields Village. Just outside the gates you will also find Bohicket Marina with shopping, dining, boat rentals, fishing charters, paddle boarding and kayaking.
- Kiawah Rentals www.resortquestkiawah.com 800.845.3911
- The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island www.kiawahresort.com 843.768.6000
15-20 minutes from the lake and 15-20 minutes from Folly Beach
Historic downtown Charleston, SC boasts beautiful historic homes and buildings, a beautiful waterfront as well as amazing shopping and dining. Whether you stay in one of these hotels, inn’s or Bed and Breakfasts, you will have easy access to one of America’s most beautiful cities.
- French Quarter Inn www.fqicharleston.com 843.722.1900
- Charleston Place www.charlestonplace.com 843.723.1848
- Holiday Inn Historic District www.holidayinn.com 843.805.7900
- Embassy Suites www.embassysuites.com 843.723.6900
- Wentworth Mansion www.wentworthmansion.com 843.853.1886
- Ashley Inn Bed and Bkfst. www.charleston-sc-inns.com 843.723.1848
- Hampton Inn www.hamptoninn.com 843.723.4000
- Courtyard Marriott www.marriot.com 843.722.7229
20-25 minutes from the lake
Folly Beach is a local beach community with plenty of rentals, but it retains it’s local feel as it is not over-run with high-rise condos. With surf shops, restaurants and proximity to downtown Charleston, it is our favorite beach area.
- Fred Holland Realty www.fredhollandrealty.com
- Tides at Folly Beach (only high-rise beach front hotel on the island) www.tidesfollybeach.com
Hotels in convenient areas
The listings that say “Downtown View” are directly across the Ashley River from downtown Charleston. They are a bit more expensive than the listings that say “West Ashley”, which are down highway 17 South and convenient to downtown as well as our ski site.
- Hampton Inn (West Ashley) www.hamptoninn.com 843.573.1200
- Spring Hill Suites (Downtown view) www.springhillsuites.com 843.571.1711
- Holiday Inn Riverview (Downtown view) www.holidayinn.com 843.556.7100
- Sleep Inn (West Ashley) www.sleepinn.com 843.556.6959
Cabins and Campground/RV Park
- James Island County Park www.ccprc.com 843.795.4386
~ Top photo courtesy of folleybeach.com
There are very few coaches who can help novice, advanced and elite level skiers– Seth Stisher is one of those coaches. Whether you want to learn how to ski for the first time, cross the wake with more confidence, run your first pass through the slalom course or win a tournament, Seth Stisher can help get you there. At the lake where I ski we have all three ability levels and most have been helped in some way by Seth’s unique and effective approach to coaching.Anthony Warren